Search the DS&W site for
Freelanced Narrow Gauge Models in Hon3 and HOn30

My Fleet of Narrow Gauge Diesels

Overview

Narrow Gauge Diesels These models were built in a relatively short time. Each project inspired the next one and bits an pieces left over from one were used on the next model.


Plymouth

Plymouth ( 18k )

This is where it all started. This model was built from a kit by Brick Price and is powered by a cheap Bachmann diesel power truck. I plan to use it for a industrial railroad I built in HOn30. The idea was to give it a more European look, so I left off sunshades, bells etc. and did add two headlights on the running board. I'm quite pleased with the results.

Some experimenting has done for the weathering. The body was airbrushed with green enamel paint. After this coat was completely cured I brushpainted it with a different shade of green Tamiya acrylic paint. Later this paint was picked up again by lightly w iping it with a tissue soaked with acrylic thinner. This gave a beautiful impression of a faded green color. After that I gave the whole body a wash of brown artist's acrylic. Some highlights were added by drybrushing different shades of red brown / rust colors.

The frame was weathered using techniques described by Martyn Welch in his book 'The Art of Weathering', published by Wild Swan Publications. Basically you stipple on different shades of black and brown colors and talcum powder. This gives a very dull but somewhat layered impression of dirt and rust that collected over time. I'm really pleased with the overall results.

D.S.&W. #50

DS&W Endcab Diesel ( 17k )

Being pleased with the Plymouth I started on a HOn3 endcab diesel for usage on my layout. For years I had a Grandt Line Endcab Diesel kit lying around because I never got it running satisfactorily. Now I combined this kit with a Flying Zoo HOn3 power truck and finally got good results. The truck didn't fit into the original hood so I had to build a wider hood and a new cab. The cab was laid out following Plymouth plans published in Railroad Model Craftsman by Thomas Yorke. Detailing came from bits and parts I had on hand, including some parts that came from the Brick Price Diesel. Painting and weathering was done similar to the methods described above, but to less extent.

D.S.&W. Boxcab #100

DS&W Boxcab Oil-electric ( 20k )

The inspiration for this project came from an article in Model Railroader March 83 by Bill Lorence. My favorite loco for switching is a Jonan SP Endcab diesel that performs beautifully but looks much too modern to me. The article mentioned finally showed me how to change that. The body was built from an unpainted Athearn 34' caboose that I cut apart. After some cutting and splicing I got two identical sides with nice rivet detail. The fronts and roof details are scratchbuilt from styrene. Again bits and pieces from my scrapbox provided the rest of the parts needed. For those interested, I've put together a more detailled description.

[ Top of page ]